Canada gives chance to families to reunite and live together. If you are Canadian citizen or permanent residence, you may eligible to sponsored your legal spouse, common- law partner or even in some cases conjugal partner.
While you have opportunity to reunite with your relatives, you should have knowledge about requirements, responsibilities and duties.What is requirement to be sponsor?
First of all, you should be Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Be at least 18 years or older
- Not be sponsor of another partner in last 3 years
- Not have any experience of harm to your relative
- Not have any criminal conviction inside or outside Canada
- Good standing financially
- Not have more than one wife or husband
- Your partner intending to live in Canada after been permanent resident
- And other requirements that better you be master on that before you start your application.
What is your responsibility as a sponsor?
You should agree to accept 3- year undertaking even if you separate or divorce. It means, you as a sponsor obligate to take care of your partner from the day comes permanent resident until 3- year. It means if in this 3 year, he or she applied for any means- tested public benefits, you should repay the cost of social assistant in last 3 years.
In case, you decide to get divorce, still sponsor obligation to take care of sponsored person for 3 years.
If sponsored person has child your have undertaking 10 years from the day your dependent child (or the dependent child of your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner) under 22 years of age becomes a permanent resident, or until the child becomes 22 years old, whichever comes first.